What Expecting Mothers Should Know About Preeclampsia

Preeclampsia, a disease that leads to problems like protein in the urine when high blood pressure suddenly develops

Preeclampsia

Preeclampsia, a disease that leads to problems like protein in the urine when high blood pressure suddenly develops, is one of the most typical pregnancy complications. Preeclampsia, which develops after 20 weeks of pregnancy, affects 1 in 25 women.

Preeclampsia poses serious risks to both the mother and the unborn child. Eclampsia, a potentially fatal medical emergency, develops in pregnant women who have severe symptoms like stroke, internal bleeding, and convulsions.

Poor development, poor oxygenation, and preterm delivery are all effects on the infant.

Read More: Your Concerns About Fertility After 35 Years Of Age

Preeclampsia Symptoms

The condition’s symptoms include:

  • Elevated blood pressure
  • Urine contains protein
  • Headaches
  • Upper abdominal pain or indigestion signs
  • Visual alterations
  • Swollen hands, feet, and face
  • Excessive weight gain that occurs quickly (less than one week)

If there are symptoms, thorough blood pressure monitoring and lab tests can help identify preeclampsia as the reason. The crucial choice is when to deliver the baby, once the diagnosis has been made.

The chief medical officer of a Hospital for Women & Newborns, Dr. Joanna Adamczak, claims that birth is the only treatment for preeclampsia. Choosing the ideal delivery time for the mother and the child presents a dilemma. The dangers of continuing the pregnancy must be compared to the risk of an early delivery.

Patients with moderate preeclampsia can carry their pregnancies to term with diligent monitoring. For the mother and child’s benefit, delivery is typically required if a patient experiences severe symptoms. Preeclampsia can appear in certain people during extremely early stages of pregnancy (less than 34 weeks). These individuals frequently get hospital care in a high-risk pregnancy unit under close observation.

Read More: Is CBD Effective in Lowering Blood Pressure?

According to Dr. Adamczak, the worst hurdles are faced by patients with early onset of severe preeclampsia. A team of trained nurses and doctors is required to safely prolong the pregnancy and deliver before difficulties occur.

Up to 20% of women have preeclampsia once more in subsequent pregnancies. However, a person’s and their family’s medical history might boost that likelihood to 80%. Obesity, Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, chronic high blood pressure, and a family history of preeclampsia are other variables that can raise a pregnant woman’s chance of developing preeclampsia.

Heart disease and stroke, which are the main causes of death for women, are twice as likely to affect women who have had preeclampsia.

Although the current pregnancy is the main concern, preeclampsia has implications for the patient’s future health and pregnancies, according to Dr. Adamczak.

 

5/5 - (1 vote)